James Cook University (JCU) is recruiting for Dean, Graduate Research and Researcher Development to provide strategic leadership and delivery of high-quality post-graduate research education and researcher development that is commensurate with the higher education sector and aligned with the priorities of the Division of Research, and the University.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables
1. The vision, management, and performance of post-graduate research education and professional development of academic staff in research-related areas, ensuring these are commensurate with the higher education sector.
2. Providing strategic policy and operational advice on graduate research education and researcher development to the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Research, and other University Executives and governance bodies.
3. Leadership of the Graduate Research School including effective and efficient governance, management and operation of its services and functions, engaging across the University to achieve University objectives and high-quality HDR program delivery.
4. Enhancing the University’s performance in postgraduate research education and researcher development, by proactively developing, monitoring and implementing policies and initiatives, monitoring the postgraduate research education sector at the national and international level and engaging with external partners to ensure delivery of a contemporary HDR program.
5. Supporting the University’s goals and researchers’ career goals by working collaboratively with internal stakeholders to design and implement a suite of relevant initiatives for the professional development of academics.
6. Developing a strong research culture, that delivers high-quality and targeted services, ensuring the sustainability of offerings, across HDR education and researcher development in support of the University’s strategic goals through actively fostering effective engagement and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
7. Contributions to the activities and initiatives of the Research Division in meeting the objectives of the University, including delegating for the Deputy Vice Chancellor Research as required.
Key Requirements for success
1. A PhD and a demonstrated track record of research, HDR supervision experience and graduate research education.
2. Demonstrated superior leadership and management skills and proven experience in leading and managing a team, including the ability to manage organisational, cultural and systemic change.
3. Demonstrated ability to perform high-level strategic planning, program and managerial functions, including significant budget responsibility, with clear accountability for performance and quality management.
4. Expert knowledge and a strong understanding of contemporary strategic directions within postgraduate research and researcher development and their applicability to the University’s strategic direction.
5. Experience in developing and implementing graduate research policies and procedures and initiatives in researcher development, and in fostering research culture with demonstrated broad outcomes in research performance across the institution.
6. A strong customer focus with demonstrated facilitation, interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative and productive partnerships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
The candidate information pack provides some further context and is attached, as well as at the JCU current vacancies website: https://www.jcu.edu.au/