The Australian Council for Graduate Research Inc. (ACGR) invites proposals from appropriately experienced and qualified individuals to provide executive services for ACGR commencing in November 2022 for up to a three-year period subject to review.
- Download the Call for provision of ACGR Executive Services (PDF) for detailed information on the Executive Services responsibilities and the proposal process
Catalogue of executive services
The catalogue of executive services required by ACGR includes:
- Monitoring and responding to Australian government policy and strategy impacting on graduate research, keeping abreast of key international developments of relevance to members and providing timely and strategic advice to the President, Executive Committee and members as appropriate.
- Representing the Council on advisory and stakeholder groups and in other fora and acting as public spokesperson on topics within ACGR’s remit.
- Drafting and coordinating ACGR position statements, submissions and correspondence with government and other key stakeholders.
- Developing and maintaining links with key stakeholders including government and peak bodies both national and international.Oversight of the outreach activities of the Council including:
- Oversight of the outreach activities of the Council including:
- development of an annual communications plan,
- appropriate messaging and focus in the regular ACGR Updates and the Graduate Research Blog, and
- support for and monitoring of the work of the Communications and Member Engagement Officer.
- Providing strategic, organisational and secretarial leadership for each ACGR National Meeting including program development, budgeting, liaison with the host institution, inviting speakers and conducting elections for executive positions.
- Providing strategic and secretarial support for the Executive Committee and any working groups established
- Managing the annual ACGR Awards for Excellence in Graduate Research Education program.
- Supporting and managing any other special initiatives or projects undertaken by ACGR including preparing project proposals, calls for expressions of interest and tender documents as required.
- Promoting and maintaining ACGR membership and welcoming and supporting new members.
- Managing the ACGR finances including preparing and monitoring of the annual budget, collecting subscriptions and any other payments to ACGR, paying bills, preparing quarterly BAS returns and preparing the annual financial statement
- Meeting the statutory requirements of an incorporated organisation.
It is expected that these services will be provided in a timely manner, usually on a part time basis across the year, but there will be peak workload times during national meetings and for other special initiatives. The Selection Committee may consider proposals that provide for a second or additional contractor to provide particular services within the full scope of these responsibilities.
Skills and Experience
The Selection Committee will consider the following skills and experience when shortlisting potential applicants for this role:
Essential selection criteria:
- Ability to communicate effectively and build collaborative and professional networks with a wide range of stakeholders
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Experience and skill in working with committees or a Board of Directors.
- Ability to envision and convey the organization’s mission and strategic future to the members, board, partners and key stakeholders.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Not for profit management experience.
- High level strategic thinking and planning.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Takes initiative, works independently and able to multi–task
- Creative problem–solving skills
- A tertiary qualification and/or relevant experience of the Australian Higher Education system
- Direct experience working within or influencing graduate research education in Australia
- 5 or more years of university management experience
- Experience in a member–based organisation
Proposal submission and further information
Detailed information on the Executive Services responsibilities as well as information on the proposal process can be read in the Call for provision of ACGR Executive Services PDF.